RPCV Nepal (2012-2014) currently interning in Lusaka, Zambia with the State Department for the summer

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

night safari, Maasai village, black mambas and more!

this is going to be super short, because my battery is about to die but im going to list a few highlights from the past couple days at Ndarakwai:
1. i havent showered in 5 days and everything i own is covered in fine red dirt. my hair is one giant dreadlock. its actually hilarious though because everyone looks like that as well.
2. we found a black mamba in camp two days ago. its the most poisonous snake in the ENTIRE world so that was kind of freaky but also kind of cool because it was in a water bottle so we could look at it up close. it was only a baby so they let it go far far away from camp.
3. i got to go on a night game drive the other night...SO amazing. I saw hyena, giraffe, water buck, impala, dik-dik, zebra, fox, bush babies, gazelle, and lots of bats.
4. we visited a maasai village yesterday and i got asked why i wasnt married because i had breasts. kind of awkward for our male translator to ask but it was funny. i cant wait for our homestay there. also i was super excited because they literally had a hundred baby goats wandering around that i kept picking up and playing with. our academic director gave us 5,000 shillings to spend (about $3.40) so i got some cool necklaces and bracelets.
5. we met the owner of Ndarakwai, Peter Jones, who gave us a lecture on conservation and his views on it etc. pretty cool cause i think hes a big deal here...he has Animal Planet come and he had Kate Moss in his camp last week....
6. after church at a nearby village we had this bbq type thing and got to sample all the local beer and Konyagi (basically african gin). the beer bottles are really cool they are all named after Mt. Kilimanjaro, Serengeti etc.

i obviously wish i could write a novel about the experiences i am having here but my computer is about to die...tonight is our last night at Ndarakwai and we leave at 9am to go to Arusha tomorrow!
oh my Kiswahili is coming along nicely as well. i can now introduce myself, ask where someone is from, etc. there are all these proper greetings for elders and stuff we had to learn about to.

ok, gotta go....Kwa herini!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex, your mom gave me your blog site since I too was just in Kenya and Tanzania in Jan. It was the most amazing experience. I loved the people and culture. Was in a Maasai tribe too. I found that everyone is so happy living such a simple life. I told my family, before I turned 50 I want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. My favorite beer, which I had to have everyday was Tusker. I look forward to reading about your adventures. I wish I was there. This will be a life changing experience for you. Enjoy!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete