RPCV Nepal (2012-2014) currently interning in Lusaka, Zambia with the State Department for the summer

Saturday, September 18, 2010

off to Tarangire and Lake Manyara!

so this is rare but I have internet for the second time this week! we were in Arusha last Wednesday, and again we had to find our way home by nightfall. Somehow our group of 24 managed to randomly hire an entire tour bus (still not quite sure how that happened...) that took us all the way up to Bangata! its hard to find transportation up there because the roads are so bad. so lets see...we had Kiswahili the next day again, and when i got home my mama told me she had malaria! I felt so bad for her! luckily it isnt transmitted from person to person (plus im on malaria meds anyways). I've been trying to help around the house more but its hard because Im a bit limited in what I can do. I mostly wash a lot of dishes because I can't exactly cook ugali (stiff porridge) or carry 50 lbs of firewood on my head, although I do want to try before I leave. We've had a family friend Lulu over a lot though, so she's been helping quite a bit.
Hm...not much else is new, its actually warm in town today! its been raining almost every morning up in Bangata. We're staying at Klub Afriko (the little bungalow pictures for those of you facebook people) for the night and heading to Tarangire tomorrow morning. Tarangire is a national park, and our campsite isnt fenced!!!! So the advice our academic director (Baba Jack) gave us was to "not drink any liquids after dinner. if you absolutely have to pee then get out of your tent and shine your light in a complete circle. If you see red eyes, you're ok because those are herbivores. If you see green eyes, you're not ok because those are predators....and if you hear a lion roar you probably won't have to pee anymore!" haha I'm so excited to go though! It'll be the first time we get to see big predators. We spend 3 nights in the park, and then move to a campsite near Lake Manyara for another 3 nights. I'll be back in Arusha next Saturday where I will report back on how the safari went!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment