RPCV Nepal (2012-2014) currently interning in Lusaka, Zambia with the State Department for the summer

Sunday, December 23, 2012

life at perm site

I have a new address! I also posted it under a new link on the top of my blog, but here it is:

Alexandra Clayton
Agriculture Service Center
Galyang, Syangja District
Gandaki Archal, Nepal

Hope stuff gets there. Don't send any more mail to the Kathmandu address because it is 9 hours away from me and I would never get mail otherwise!

                As I write this blog, its my 1 week anniversary of being at site! It feels like when I just came to Nepal...I feel that i've been in my new home much longer than 7 days. I absolutely love my family though. My sister is amazing...she's so patient with my language and takes me everywhere she goes, which is great because shes a very active member in the farmer's group here. I think my sisters are still a little scared of me as they dont often speak directly to me, but theyre warming up. I taught them how to frat-snap the other day (Daina/Jenni you will most appreciate this) and they help me with my language. I've been using tenses in Nepali that I rarely used in Chhap, so its been a daily struggle to train my ears to respond to various forms of a verb that I'm not used to hearing. In addition to the I, you, he/she/it, we,you all, they forms of verbs, Nepali also has different conjugations for someone who is older or younger than you, as well as an informal tense. As you can imagine this gets very confusing and I keep addressing my younger sisters in the formal "you" tense which they essentially won't respond to. Its a work in progress.  Otherwise I've been very busy attending farmer's meetings and introducing myself to my community. Ive been running in the mornings which has proved much scarier than usual as there is a large troupe of monkeys living right below my house. I was sitting by a water tap trying to catch my breath after my run when about 10 monkeys came out of nowwhere and scared the shit out of me. They're actually quite a nuisance here as people are constantly chasing them out of their gardens. I'm not sure what kind of monkeys they are (language is not advanced enough to ask this question), but they look to be some sort of baboon to me.

Today was actually particularly hard. I have these days here where I feel that my language progress is fantastic, and then days like today where I feel like I couldnt understand a word of what people were saying. I have yet to find anyone in my villlage who speaks any English.  I was sick of saying "Maile bujhina" , which means "I dont understand" like 95 times in a row at my relatives house so I peaced out and headed home where I proceeded to bury myself in my bed and read Bridget Jones Diary for a solid hour before I finally felt like being social again. It is so true that in Peace Corps you can be surrounded by tons of people yet still feel so alone. I decided to drag my butt out of bed and go to the local chiyaa pasal and get some tea and study my Nepali. Of course like 10 people came over to see what the white girl was doing so i didnt really get any studying done, but then I made a friend! Her name's Rita and shes 21. She started talking with me at the tea shop and even though I could barely undersand her she invited me to her house for tea and biscuits. Her husband works in Dubai and she told me she was really lonely so that we should hang out a lot. Then she painted my nails and put CNN on the TV for me! I havent seen any American television since I left so watching CNN was like crack to me, even though it was about some sailing race in San Francisco. Solid day afterall.  (Update: my new friend is now pregnant! Not much we have in common obviously but it will be cool to see her kid grow up a little!) I feel that mornings are always a little rough here but things tend to progress throughout the day. Reading has really been my savior so far. I’ve always been an avid reader but never found time at school to read for pleasure, and I've missed it. Its nice to unwind each day in my bed with my kindle. I'll say it a hundred times, but if you bring one thing to peace corps, bring a kindle.

Update: I’ve now been at site for 2 weeks. Its both flown by and also dragged on. Some days are good, some not so good. I finally cracked last week and called my parents crying. There wasnt really a particular reason, and all i could basically say was “I’m sad.” Felt much better afterwards. Some days are just frustrating because you feel like you can’t understand anything/are worthless. I do feel like I've hit the jackpot with my family though; I absolutely love them. Two weeks in I was able to see other volunteers for the first time! I had a great 24 hours in the district capital with them just catching up and chatting about our crazy lives at site. It was weird to return home that night and switch back to speaking only Nepali.My bus ride back was less than fun as the didi behind me was violently throwing up the entire 2 hours back into a plastic bag. Nepali women are notorious for getting sick on public transportation. Not that I can blame them, as the roads are so windy that its enough to make anyone sick.

Today I watched 19 goats get slaughtered. NINETEEN. I was still not able to figure out the reason why even after asking numerous times, but apparently they do this every 5 years, and someone’s son had also recently gotten married so that might have contributed to the large number of goats being killed. They would lead each goat one by one into a small clearing blocked off by trees, then there would be a loud “whack” and then a headless goat body would go flying through the air and land on the ground outside. I learned today that headless goat bodies will thrash around for a solid 5 minutes afterward and will kick you if you are in the way. An hour later 19 headless goats were tied up on the ground and ready to be cooked. And then we ate them. They gave me organ meat again and thats really just something I am never going to eat in Nepal or any other country for that matter. I’ve been really flexible otherwise and will basically eat anything someone gives me. That butter that sits on the shelf in a jar for the whole week? Sure, give me some of that. Those potatoes that you are literally preparing inside of the cow shed? Sure. But no, I will not be eating organ meat anytime soon.

As I write this update, its December 19, and I feel like I should be getting in a Christmasey mood, but its hard when its 70 degrees out everyday and I walk around in a jungle with monkeys everywhere. Not complaining however! Lets see...other notable happenings this week: my entire pinky nail finally fell off. I had cut it back during training on my razor while packing and it finally ripped off while I was washing clothes the other day. So that was fun. My sister is teaching me how to dance Nepali style because we end each agriculture meeting by dancing and singing and I really need to learn so i can stop making a fool out of myself. OH I FORGOT: I made Nepali television last week!!!!!! I attended a big program for my VDC because we had just been declared Open-Defecation Free. This is a big deal as this means that every family in my VDC has a working toilet and no one is pooping out in the open anymore. Sanitation is one of Nepal’s millenium goals so this is a big step; this also means I wont be building any charpis during my time here. (not complaining) Anyways, the guy leading the program immediately spotted the only white kid in the crowd and made me come sit up with all the district officials. It was going great and they were feeding me tea and biscuits and whanot but then THEY MADE ME DANCE. In front of about 200 people. Nepali style. Not that I can dance anyways, but still.  It was atrocious and they filmed the entire thing and I had to re- live the same hell the next night when I watched myself on TV. My family was ecstatic however and my sister thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Other things I have learned/discovered this week:

When Nepali women get very excited and happy they like to slap you in the face. This was very shocking the first time. I’ve met a woman who has 8 grown sons and no daughters so she told me I can be her daughter which is fine except that she won’t stop petting me/slapping my face when I go over for tea.

Nepali women like to put oil in their hair immediately after showering which is really great because after not showering for 4 days its the same effect for me and everyone thinks my hair looks fantastic.

My water buffalo is about to give birth any second now so maybe I will adopt a baby buffalo as my first pet in Nepal. There are also 5 adorable kittens running around the attic of the barn but they wont let me near them which makes me sad. I’m also a little bitter about it because there are approximately 100 rats that live in my ceiling and the cats seem to be useless.

Hope everyone is doing well at home. This is my first non-snowy christmas in a while so I hope that everyone in Winthrop is taking full advantage of all the snow I have been hearing about.

Love from the Asian continent,

Alex

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment