RPCV Nepal (2012-2014) currently interning in Lusaka, Zambia with the State Department for the summer

Thursday, October 31, 2013

election shtuff

The upcoming elections are causing problems. Not just for me, but for everybody. The politics are extremely complicated and I don’t really understand it that well but the skinny of it is that Nepal has no constitution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Nepal explains this better than I can.

These elections (to take place on November 19) will hopefully give the country a shot at developing a constitution for themselves. Although how Nepal will all of a sudden elect a leader and develop this within the next couple years is beyond me. Moving on….I believe in other blogs I have mentioned that Nepal loves its bandhs. For those that forget, these are transportation strikes that can shut down certain roads/areas of the country or the entire country. Well for the elections, there are TEN DAYS of entire country wide bandhs. This literally means no transportation. At all. No buses, cars ,motorcycles, rickshaws, pony-carts, nuthin. From November 11-21st, the entire country is essentially shut down. This also means that all Nepal PC volunteers are on standfast, which basically means don’t leave village (not that we would have any way of getting anywhere anyways) and that all other PC country travel to Nepal is restricted. Additionally I might have mentioned in my last blog that my parents were supposed to come to Nepal right smack dab in the middle of the elctions? That’s right, they were supposed to arrive in country on November 15th, a day when no transportation is running and I had no way of meeting them anywhere, unless I wanted to walk to Pokhara, which I guess would take me 3 solid days. Thank the lord almighty they changed their travel plans but I had a sad 3 couple days where I thought I wouldn’t see them until March. I guess it sounds a little ridiculous looking back, but I had my heart set on seeing them middle of November  and then to all of a sudden have their entire trip cancelled was just really sad. Its still going to be extremely iffy, as they are now coming on the 22nd, the day after the bandhs are finished. Hopefully. Otherwise I need to rent a horse or something and get my self to Pokhara somehow. I got off my bus from Pokhara the other day into a 400 person Maoist rally in my bazaar town and the police are everywhere. Its gunna get a little rowdy in the larger towns I think. Additionally, the new volunteers are supposed to get sworn in during elections, so Peace Corps has been working around that as well.

Other things I’ve been doing at site: Map names are all done! Somehow we missed 5 countries in the process of painting so we had to go back today and add those and tomorrow we will write those names. Its almost doneeeeee. Need to border the whole thing and then paint a clear finish on top to set it all.

My cat came back! Biraalo is now around 4 months old I think but he’s super friendly and now I have a little cuddle buddy. I tried to find him cat food in Pokhara last time I went but had no success, so he eats a lot of milk and roti and daal bhat and the occasional spider. He actually somehow climbed up into my ceiling the other day and ate a dead rat, so hes being useful and I haven’t heard the rats since.

My neighbor had her baby! He just got named today. In Nepali culture the baby doesn’t have a name for the first 11 days and on the 11th day it receives a name, usually from an elder in the community. They named him Pranjul (which kind of reminds me of pringle). Hes adorable though and I’ve spent a lot of time recently at my neighbors house holding him. We had him at our house last night to rub cooking oil all over him….Apparently this makes the baby strong and a hard worker later in life. So baby got covered in cooking oil. They had a puja for the baby naming ceremony and we had snacks afterward: some goat meat and a vegetable dish. I swear to god if I had known the sorts of meat/meat parts I would in eat in Nepal a year ago, I wouldn’t have believed it. Well mostly I eat the meat because I have very little protein in my diet but sometimes I actually really like it.

Other random things:  Got offered a whole pineapple on my run the other day. Allergies are still out of control, accidentally took a nighttime cold medicine this morning, so was out of commission for a couple hours. Watched part of Pirates of Caribbean on my Nepali TV the other day which was a nice treat. Started a small oil fire in my kitchen the other day and almost blew it up. I fell backwards off my tiny wooden stool which was good otherwise I think my face would have gotten blown off.

 Happy Halloween!

Biraalo and I

Just climbing into my ceiling

Aamaa and biraalo take a nap

Cooking oil covered baby!

Baby Pranjul and I in my kitchen

tail end of saarpa!

....and we have names!

No comments:

Post a Comment